I’m sick today. Considering the travel I’ve done, the climate change, and my crazy schedule, I’m surprised it’s taken this long for the cold virus to find a chink in the almost invincible armor that is my immune system. But I woke up today with a sore throat and a stuffy head and a general feeling of misery in my own skin.
You know what’s worse than being sick? Being sick in a place that is not home. You know what’s worse than being sick in a place that’s not home? Being sick when you’re living in a big house with dozens of other people and these heavy old doors that are slamming at all hours. It’s irritating on my best days, but right now I feel like being a cartoon character and somehow fastening pillows to my ears. So of course, being sick and away from home makes me a bit…homesick.
Here are some things I miss about home and Southern California in general:
2. The weather. The second half of October in Southern California is so gorgeous. Just starting to cool down, but still sunny and beautiful.
3. Going out. You know, dressing up and putting on make-up and meeting my friends for a party or a movie or whatever. I live on a farm now, so my opportunities for this kind of thing are few.
4. Speaking of going out, going to movies. I LOVE seeing movies in the theater. I think it costs about $1000 for a matinee here, so unless I find myself being courted by a wealthy suitor, I don’t think I’ll be going anytime soon.
5. And another type of going out – going out to lunch. One of my favorite things to do in the world! Meet a friend, get a salad and iced tea, and sit on the patio talking and enjoying the paradise that is Southern California’s climate.
6. Starbucks. Iced green tea…*long, drawn out sigh*
8. And of course, my friends and family. You know who you are. I miss you guys bad. Real bad.
9. Trixie Belle Hopkins, a.k.a. Miso, a.k.a. Pumpkin Spice Latte, a.k.a. Trijito, a.k.a. Stinker, a.k.a. Grover, a.k.a. Corn Muffin, a.k.a. Wheatie.